From: Randy Westlund <rwestlun@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Share /home with Gentoo and Ubuntu
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:36:01
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm a new gentoo user (coming from ubuntu). I've been proving to
4 myself that I can do everything I need with gentoo on a secondary
5 laptop, and after a few weeks, I think I've got it (svn repos, AVR
6 cross compiler, multiple screens, etc). I much prefer gentoo to
7 ubuntu, and would like to put it on my primary laptop. But I think I
8 should leave an ubuntu installation on there just in case. I'd like
9 to have gentoo, ubunu, and win7 alongside each other.
10
11 How feasible would it be to have gentoo and ubuntu share a /home
12 partition? I've never had a reason to have multiple linux
13 installations on a single machine before, but I can't think of a
14 reason why this wouldn't work. .bashrc might need a few more lines of
15 code. .screenrc and .exrc would be fine. My ssh keys can be shared.
16 What would happen to .mozilla if ubuntu and gentoo are running
17 different versions of firefox? What other issues might I run into?
18
19 Alternatively, is there a way to keep gentoo's and ubuntu's hidden
20 files separate and link or map them to ~ at boot?
21
22 Randy