From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox, downloading files and odd behavior.
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2019 12:28:28
1 On Thursday, 10 January 2019 08:28:24 GMT J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:55:59 AM CET Dale wrote:
3 > > Wols Lists wrote:
4 > > > On 07/01/19 10:46, Dale wrote:
5 > > >> From what I've read, that can be overcome. If you get say a SMART
6 > > >> message that a drive is failing,
7 > > >
8 > > > Yup, I have to agree that SMART isn't always reliable, but if you
9 > > > *monitor* it, it should give plenty of warning of the recording medium
10 > > > failing ...
11 > >
12 > > Yep. It may not detect a spindle motor that is about to fail. I'm sure
13 > > it can't detect that lightening is about to strike and the drive get hit
14 > > with a surge either. It can generally tell if the media is failing
15 > > tho. I've read it can detect some components that are starting to fail
16 > > to, not all but some. Still, even tho it can't detect everything, it is
17 > > better than no warning at all. Until something better comes along, ESP
18 > > maybe, it will have to do. ;-)
19 > >
20 > > >> just remove that drive or remove the
21 > > >> whole LVM setup and use something else until a working drive setup can
22 > > >> be made. Once ready, then move the data, if the drive still works, to
23 > > >> the new drive. That is basically what I did when I swapped a smaller
24 > > >> drive for a larger one. I moved the data from one drive to another.
25 > > >> It
26 > > >> did it fairly quickly. Someone posted that it may even be faster to do
27 > > >> it with LVM's pvmove than it is with cp or rsync. I don't know how
28 > > >> true
29 > > >> that is but from what I've read, it moves the data really efficiently.
30 > > >
31 > > > Point is, it works at a different level. Both cp and rsync are NOT
32 > > > guaranteed to copy your filesystem accurately - mine is full of hard
33 > > > links and that will give both those two a hard and nasty time.
34 > > >
35 > > > LVM copies the block device underneath the file system, so it is less
36 > > > efficient in that it will copy 3GB if you have a 3GB partition, but it
37 > > > is far simpler in that it neither knows nor cares what the file system
38 > > > is doing at the next level up. Give a file-system like mine to "cp -a"
39 > > > and it'll bring the system to its knees trying to keep track of where
40 > > > everything is.
41 > > >
42 > > > Cheers,
43 > > > Wol
44 > >
45 > > That was what I read but couldn't recall enough to tell how it does it.
46 > > That explains why it can be done while in use to.
47 > >
48 > > Just how do you do backups? If cp -a and rsync would not work
49 > > correctly, what do you use? I'm just curious now. ;-)
50 >
51 > There are backup tools that do handle hardlinks correctly. "app-backup/dar"
52 > comes to mind. I know this as my software-share is filled with hardlinks and
53 > when I restore the backup, they are all still there.
54 >
55 > --
56 > Joost
57
58 What about 'rsync -H' or 'tar --hard-dereference'? Don't they cater to hard
59 links in the fs?
60
61 As a block based backup application partclone is also good. It is very
62 efficient in backing up blocks which are occupied by a fs, but not the rest of
63 the empty space.
66 Regards,
67 Mick