From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Motherboard support?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:09:43
1 On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan
2 <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > I'll be soon getting a new desktop.
4 > I've fixed the CPU as AMD Phenom II 1075T
5 >
6 > These two motherboards came to my notice which support the above
7 > processor: Gigabyte 880GM - GA 880GM-USB3L & 880GM-USB3
8
9 Key pieces will be the northbridge, southbridge and LAN. Audio support
10 will depend on the nature of the southbridge. Everything else on those
11 boards looks pretty standardized. (You should be able to use AHCI for
12 SATA, EHCI/XHCI for USB, UHCI for IEEE 1394...)
13
14 For all three boards:
15 North Bridge: AMD 880G
16 South Bridge: AMD SB710
17
18 The LAN chipset differs slightly:
19
20 Gigabyte 880GM - Realtek 8111D
21 GA 880GM-USB3L - Realtek 8111D/E
22 880GM-USB3 - Realtek 8111E
23
24 AFAIK, the Realtek 8111 series is the onboard version of their 8169
25 series. I've got an 8111C in my system at home, and it works fine. I
26 don't know about the D and E variants.
29 :wq