From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] using a HD with bad sectors
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 03:15:01
1 Hi all,
2
3 I have two 2.5in HD's, one 60Gb with a heap of bad sectors currently
4 used in external Hd enclosure, and one 100Gb which seems in good
5 condition, currently in my laptop.
6
7 I'm upgrading my laptop, and I'd like to turn the old one into a myth
8 frontend or something similar, so I want to put the 60Gb in it. I will
9 then use the 100Gb in my external enclosure for travelling, backups,
10 etc.
11
12 The reason the 60Gb has bad sectors (I think) is because I dropped it
13 (in it's enclosure). This was quite some time ago, and it doesn't seem
14 to be dying any further, but I haven't done any comparisons on the bad
15 sector count. I use nearly 100% of the space available, and regularly
16 compare cksums, so if anything was deteriorating, I would know.
17
18 The question is: should I use it at all (for any use, external HD or
19 internal with operating system), or is it sufficient to let the fsck
20 tool mark the bad sectors and just keep using it?
21
22 Is there a way to monitor it's "health" in the external enclosure until
23 I get my new laptop? Is counting the bad sectors enough?
24
25 thanks heaps!
29 Better late than never.
30 -- Titus Livius (Livy)