From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with MAKEOPTS -j
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 13:18:43
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > Sometimes. My understanding is that it comes from packages which are
3 > badly constructed, and can't reliably handle parallel builds. I'm told
4 > that these cases are bugs and should be reported. Sometimes, if I
5 > watch build output fly by, I'll even see something like
6 >
7 > make -j10 -j1 (some target name)
8 >
9 > where a maintainer decided to put an overriding -j1 after MAKEOPTS.
12 > About two years ago, I found that, on my system (quad-core AMD Phenom
13 > 9650), -j8 resulted in the fastest build time, as measured by building
14 > ffmpeg.[1] Currently, I'm running -j10, and that's because I've been
15 > using distcc to pass a couple compile tasks off to other systems.
16 > (Though with the box I was deferring to scrapped for parts, I'll drop
17 > this down to -j8 again)
18 >
19 > [1] Tested by building in tmpfs. You can find my data here:
20 > http://multimedia.cx/eggs/ffmpeg-and-multiple-build-threads/#comment-150325
24 This is interesting. I changed mine to j8 too. See how this works.
25 CPUs are so fast nowadays, they can do a lot pretty fast. I'm trying to
26 imagine 10 years from now. O_O
27
28 Dale
29