From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux, reiserfs and file fragmentation
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:02:24
1 On Thursday 14 February 2008, Dale wrote:
2 > I did a little test.  Something fishy here.  I did a test with the
3 > /data partition.  I store pictures and documents there and it was
4 > fragmented. I cp -av to another reiserfs formatted partition then
5 > remade the file system and copied it back using basically the same
6 > command just in reverse.  This is what I got now:
7 >
8 > root@smoker / # /root/fragck.pl /data/
9 > 3.88457269700333% non contiguous files, 1.04344379261138 average
10 > fragments. root@smoker / #
11 >
12 > That is not a lot better than it was before.  It was 4.6% before.
13 >  How is that?  I copied it over then ran the command right after
14 > without even touching the files.
15 >
16 > Any ideas?  Is there a limit to the fragmenting "smallness"?
17
18 Don't worry about fragmentation on reiserfs. This is not a valid concept
19 for reiser or for ext2/3.
20
21 Fragmentation is problematic on Windows machines because that code is
22 brain dead. Some people seem to assume that it must therefore be
23 problematic on all file systems. Reiserfs is not brain dead, it is
24 intelligent and will balance itself out over time. It also has tail
25 packing which can make fragmentation stats look odd if enabled.
26
27 Short answer:
28
29 Don't worry about it. Let reiserfs do what it wants to do when it wants
30 to do it - it is much much much better at these decisions than you will
31 ever be ;-)
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
38 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list