From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installation problems on AMD64 box
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 11:43:10
1 Andrey Vul schrieb:
2 > On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 07:29, Florian Philipp
3 > <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net> wrote:
4
5 >>>
6 >> Iain's diagnosis seems about right. I would start with a nice 2h memtest86+
7 >> test followed with a 1h cpuburn test.
8 > I believe you mean 2d memtest86+ unless computer has DDR9-99999 RAM
9 > where 100 (full) cycles could be completed in under 2 hours.
10 > Also, do cpuburn for a day or more - bad cooling could take hours to
11 > mnifest themselves.
14 You are right. To be absolutely sure, you should take the time for a
15 very long test. I've heard of errors which were first seem after a week
16 of testing. But here we are talking about a problem which was visible
17 after just one kernel compilation. I would bet that you could see it
18 after just one test cycle of memtest and half an hour of CPUburn.
19
20 One the other hand, I once had a memory error (due to too short
21 latencies) which couldn't be found my memtest within a day but crashed
22 Elder Scrolls Oblivion after just 5min. You can never be sure with those
23 things. Who knows? Maybe the power supply is too weak and you need to
24 stress RAM, CPU and hard disk at the same time (as a compilation would do).