From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Should mysql crash sometimes?
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:45:35
1 On Sunday 28 November 2010 16:19:20 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:10 on Sunday 28 November 2010, Grant did
3 >
4 > opine thusly:
5 > > mysql-5.1.51 crashed recently and needed to be restarted. This
6 > > doesn't happen often with mysql but does from time to time. Is this
7 > > part of life with mysql or can it be prevented?
8 >
9 > This is not normal. None of my mysql instances crash frequently
10 >
11 > > I don't think I've
12 > > changed the mysql config from default besides creating the necessary
13 > > tables although I could be wrong. /var/log/mysql/mysqld.err doesn't
14 > > contain info about the crash but here's info from the restart:
15 > >
16 > > [Warning] No argument was provided to --log-bin, and --log-bin-index
17 > > was not used; so replication may break when this MySQL server acts as
18 > > a master and has his hostname changed!! Please use
19 > > '--log-bin=mysqld-bin' to avoid this problem. /usr/sbin/mysqld: Table
20 > > 'mysql.plugin' doesn't exist
21 > > [ERROR] Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgrade to
22 > > create it.
23 > > InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 43655
24 > > [Note] Recovering after a crash using mysqld-bin
25 > > [Note] Starting crash recovery...
26 > > [Note] Crash recovery finished.
27 > > [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table 'mysql.servers'
28 > > doesn't exist
29 > > [ERROR] Column count of mysql.db is wrong. Expected 22, found 20.
30 > > Created with MySQL 50070, now running 50151. Please use mysql_upgrade
31 > > to fix this error.
32 >
33 > Did you ever run mysql_upgrade as mentioned here?
34 >
35 > With the last mysql upgrade, did you restart the service? It's quite
36 > important to always restart any service you have just upgraded.
37 >
38 > > [ERROR] mysql.user has no `Event_priv` column at position 29
39 > > [ERROR] Cannot open mysql.event
40 > > [ERROR] Event Scheduler: An error occurred when initializing system
41 > > tables. Disabling the Event Scheduler.
42 > > [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections.
43 > >
44 > > It looks like I should run mysql_upgrade for one thing. Is there a
45 > > Gentoo way to do that? Will I lose data?
46 > >
47 > > As I went over this I realized that I hadn't enabled skip-networking,
48 > > although nmap from the same system didn't show port 3306 open and I'm
49 > > not running a firewall on the machine. How could that be?
50
51 There was a recent mysql update which broke some of my mysql databases. I
52 then discovered that I had to run:
53
54 $ mysql_upgrade -u root -p
55
56 for things to work normally again. There was no enotice to this effect so I
57 raised a bug and since then the devs kindly added a message to the ebuild.
58
59 So, to reiterate what Alan said, your crashes are not normal, you need to run
60 mysql_upgrade and restart the service with your eye on the logs to see if
61 something is amiss.
62
63 BTW, if your box is Internet facing, or you do not absolutely trust your LAN
64 devices, I would recommend that you run some rudimentary iptables rules to
65 keep things safe(r).
66 --
67 Regards,
68 Mick