From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev, cryptsetup, and ensuing problems
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 13:56:19
1 On Wednesday 24 June 2009 15:47:44 John P. Burkett wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 24 June 2009 02:39:33 John P. Burkett wrote:
4 > >> At that point I had the impression that the machine was not up-to-date
5 > >> but nonetheless functional. However, the next morning I noticed that
6 > >> the computer would not print to my local printer. Using the CUPS menu
7 > >> did not rectify the problem. When I rebooted, the machine wouldn't
8 > >> start X and the mouse wouldn't work. Rebooting again, I used the Grub
9 > >> menu to select an old reliable configuration which allowed me to login
10 > >> at a command line interface but did allow me to start X.
11 > >
12 > > This has been dealt with ad-nauseam on this list over the last few weeks,
13 > > with many many threads covering these issues (they are very common)
14 > >
15 > > Please check the mail archives for the full story in all it's
16 > > excruciating detail.
17 >
18 > Thank you, Alan, for the pointer. Going to
19 > http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/ and using Firefox's "find"
20 > facility, I searched for each of the following expressions: udev,
21 > cryptsetup, host address, distrfiles.shea, filesize, printer, startx,
22 > mouse. I have not found the threads to which you refer. If you could
23 > point out a relevant starting point in the archives, I would be very
24 > grateful.
25
26 Try looking for threads started by user "Dale" and working from there. He's
27 not alone in his woes, but he's certainly the most vocal. His threads also
28 tend to stay on-topic, leading to answers instead of natter.
31 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com