From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: fonts mostly inaccessable to xterm
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2017 00:22:07
1 Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net> writes:
2
3 [...]
4
5 Harry wrote:
8 [...]
9
10 >> googling for hours on this I find xterm can understand a different
11 >> switch `xterm -fa bla-bla'
12 >>
13 >> However, xterm as installed from portage does not understand that
14 >> switch at all.
15 >>
16 >> Some of the googling mentioned that xterm has to have that ability
17 >> compiled in, so I wondered if our xterm is compiled for that option?
18
19 A very feeble light almost came on above...
20
21 [...]
24 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> writes:
25
26 > Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net> writes:
27 >
28 > [...]
29 >
30 >> Please clarify ...
31 >> ... if this is a console only boot ( in vm ),
32 >> ... if this is a GUI Desktop ( in vm ),
33 >> and/or specific xterm ( i.e "x11-terms/xterm" ).
34
35 Harry responds:
36 > This is a full X host running lxde for desktop
37 > The xterm I speak of is the real McCoy .. the one Thomas Dickey has
38 > maintained since mid to late 90s.
39 >
40 > In this case: x11-terms/xterm version 327 But I just noticed when
41 > pretend emerge just now to see what the use flags were... I see it
42 > defaults to -truetype use flag... which may be significant.
43 >
44 > I'm re-emerging with USE=truetype might make some difference.
45 >
46 > But still would not explain the fonts that are not true type failing
47 > to load.
48 >
49 > Do you know if some EXTRA_ECONF or something is needed to make xterm
50 > recognize its -fa switch?
51 >
52 > I've seen in several places that -fa font-name is used instead of -fn
53 > font-name
54
55 Hitting all around it ... finally I noticed that xterm compiles with
56 Use flag `-truetype'
57
58 That feeble light finally took on some strength,
59
60 I set [...] package.use/xterm
61 With contents: `x11-terms/xterm truetype'
62
63 re-emerged xterm.....
64
65 And now I'm happily loading fonts with the -fa switch.
66
67 xterm -fa Inconsolata-Regular.ttf [...] and away it goes .. and a fine
68 looking font it is too.