From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] depclean wants to remove hal, which kills xdm
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 15:07:29
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 >>> Le 20 décembre à 15:12 Allan Gottlieb a écrit
4 >>>
5 >>>> Something seems wrong.
6 >>>> Yesterday depclean removed hal and then xdm wouldn't run.
7 >>>> Re-merging hal (with -1) fixed this, but again today depclean wants to
8 >>>> remove it.
9 >
10 > I'm running amd64 here but xdm doesn't show it needing hal here. It's
11 > not even in the USE flags and I did a emerge -epv xdm and it still
12 > didn't show it. It did pull in policykit tho.
13 >
14 > Could it be that it doesn't use hal anymore and you need to figure out
15 > what it is using? I know hal is going away but I haven't read that it
16 > already was. That said, I did notice that policykit was pulled in
17 > yesterday. Of course, xdm doesn't show it needs it either. Could it
18 > be udev?
19
20 To summarize
21
22 1. All is running fine but.
23
24 2. deplcean wants to remove hal and when it does xdm will not run.
25
26 3. I have run emerge world with --newuse, and have run revdep-rebuild,
27 and have remerged xdm.
28
29 4. Currently I just refuse depclean's offer to remove hal, halinfo, and
30 dmidecode.
31
32 My plan is to stay like this until xorg 1.9 hits ~amd64 since I believe
33 at that time hal is going away and hence xdm won't need it.
34
35 Does this sound reasonable?
36
37 allan
38
39 PS Why is no one else having this problem?