From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Advice about ati-drivers? [50% SOLVED]
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 11:30:44
1 On 03/04/12 03:16, Michael Hampicke wrote:
2 >> However, now that the firmware loading problem is fixed, my screen still
3 >> goes
4 >> black on bootup. But now it's instantaneous instead of 60 seconds
5 >> delayed :(
6 >>
7 >> I'm back to functioning vesa mode if I boot with radeon.memset=0, but
8 >> that's
9 >> not really my goal...yet :p
10 >
11 > Last time I reinstalled gentoo, I tried kms too (with my Radeon HD2600
12 > card). And I had lots of problems with it - in combination with
13 > ati-drivers fglrx module (blank on boot, freeze while starting X,
14 > generell crashes and kernel panics, low performence...,...). So I
15 > finally decided not to use kms disable everything related to kms. Since
16 > then everything is running smoothly. Two weeks ago, I purchased an new
17 > video card (Radeon HD7770) and gave kms another shot. And again,
18 > everything went down the crapper. So disabled it. I can live without it
19 > for the time being. But still, I would be interested in the "why?".
20
21 You cannot use two drivers at once. Either use the kernel driver (which
22 does KMS), or ati-drivers. You cannot mix drivers. Not in Linux, and
23 not in any other OS I'm aware of.