From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Top-posting etc. (was: Re: [gentoo-user] Thermal cpu)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 10:11:58
1 On Tuesday 03 April 2007 18:15:07 Bayrouni wrote:
2 > Sylvain Chouleur a écrit :
3 > > 1) I'm sorry but don't understand what 'top post' means
4 >
5 > When you reply don't write your message at the top but at the bottom.
6 > just at the bottom.
7 >
8 > In other words, write at the last line.
9
10 Well, that's somewhat better, but still not ideal.
11
12 top post: v.
13 1. Writing your entire reply to a message (generally email or newsgroup
14 posting) above any quoted material you are replying to.
15
16 bottom post: v.
17 1. Writing your entire reply to a message (generally email or newsgroup
18 posting) below any quoted material you are replying to.
19
20 Top posting is generally considered either wasteful, if the quoted part
21 isn't
22 required, or confusing, since the answers to questions will appear the
23 questions themselves and the "conversation" will generally be read in the
24 wrong order. This being said, top posting is preferred in some fora. Top
25 posting is a common beginner (see n00b) behavior in the face of properly
26 behaving email/newsgroup client (see below). At least one mail client
27 (Microsoft Outlook) makes it intentionally difficult to not to top post,
28 though cursor, signature, and quoted material placement AND non-standard
29 quoting methods.
30
31 Bottom posting is preferred over top posting in most fora, but is still
32 wasteful especially in combination with "me too" posts, in which the volume
33 of quoted (and thus at least partially redundant) material greatly dwarfs
34 the
35 amount of unquoted (and ideally original) material.
36
37 The most preferred method of replying is sometimes called "interleaved
38 posting". In this case you quote only the relevant parts of the message
39 you
40 are replying to, leaving only enough information to provide a context for
41 your material. The appropriate amount of quoted material can differ
42 greatly
43 based on the fora for which the message is intended. Your material is
44 placed
45 after what it is replying to, which might be before other quoted material.
46 Here's an example:
47
48 --- Begin Example ---
49 >> I've filed bug XXX against foo/bar-1.1_pre2; it breaks some of my
50 scripts
51 >> I wrote against foo/bar-1.0
52 >
53 > That's not a bug. It's a feature.
54 > Riposte A
55
56 I see the security implications, but I've attached a patch that retains the
57 1.0 behavior while addressing the buffer overflow risk in a future-proof
58 manner.
59
60 > Riposte C
61
62 This is the problem with open source software. The %#$@ developers want it
64 be broken. That's a stupid point and you should be ashamed for presenting
65 it.
66 --- End Example ---
67
68 In the example above, the "Riposte B" text was dropped since the message
69 contained no direct reply to it.
70
71 A properly behaving email/newsgroup client, in absence of other user
72 preferences, should quote the entire message being replied to (the
73 format=flowed RFC covers acceptable quoting methods), place the user's
74 cursor
75 at the top (or slightly above) the quoted material, and automatically
76 insert
77 the content of the users signature (on UNIX, baring other configuration,
78 this
79 is in contents of the file $HOME/.sig) below the quoted material after the
80 standard signature separator ('-- ' on it's own line). The user will then,
81 move down the message, deleting quoted material irrelevant to their reply
82 and
83 writing their content immediately after the relevent quoted material and
84 stopping when they reach the signature separator. New users often simply
85 type their reply, without touching the quoted material resulting in a top
86 post (see above).
89 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
90 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
91 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
92 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/