From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout-1.12.5 sucks
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:50:39
1 On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 09:35:38 +0200, Noack, Sebastian wrote:
2
3 > The other reason is, that independent from which net.*-scripts are
4 > attached to a runlevel, at least one net.*-script besides net.lo becomes
5 > started according to RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING="no" [1] in /etc/conf.d/rc.
6 > Such behaviour shouldn't be the default. If I want a distro where
7 > anything happens automatically, I would use Ubunto or Suse. Furthermore
8 > it isn't even possible to stop this behaviour by setting
9 > RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING to "none" or "lo" [1].
10
11 This is nothing to do with the init scripts. There are two ways an
12 interface can be started, through the init scripts or through hotplug.
13 The RC_NET_STRICT_CHECKING deals with how others services, that require a
14 network connection, work.
15
16 > The workaround therefore is to set RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*" in
17 > /etc/conf.d/rc.
18
19 This isn't a workaround, it is the correct solution. If you don't want
20 your network interfaces, or anything else, started by hotplug, this
21 is the correct place to disable it.
22
23 A package offering more flexible configuration options doesn't make it
24 suck, IMO. you complain about Ubuntu and SUSE doing things automatically,
25 then complain about Gentoo increasing your choices.
29 Neil Bothwick