From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: smoothest way to jump from 2006 to 2008
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 22:54:27
1 On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 3:31 PM, <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
5 > > [2] vi /var/lib/portage/world
6 >
7 > What if I emerge -vC all I know I don't want.
8 >
9 > All kde all gnome all xorg for example, before update world.
10 >
11 > I was hoping to accomplish much the same thing by editing world. But
12 > strangely I see only a few candidates to delete (marked with
13 > asterisks):
14 >
15 > /var/lib/portage/world:
16 > app-admin/eselect
17 > app-admin/sysklogd
18 > app-editors/emacs
19 > app-editors/vim
20 > app-misc/screen
21 > ** app-office/openoffice-bin
22 > app-portage/eix
23 > app-portage/gentoolkit
24 > ** kde-base/kde
25 > net-misc/dhcpcd
26 > sys-apps/slocate
27 > sys-boot/grub
28 > sys-devel/gdb
29 > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
30 > ** www-client/seamonkey
31 > ** x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard
32 > ** x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
33 > ** x11-drivers/xf86-video-fbdev
34 > ** x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa
35 > ** x11-drivers/xf86-video-vga
36 > ** x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware
37 >
38 > However eix -I shows a whole bunch of kde packages. Not to mention
39 > piles of other stuff not mentioned in `world'.
42 My rule, for the most part, is that nothing is in
43 /var/lib/portage/world that I don't know I need and that I run by
44 hand. for instance here is a MythTV backend server I brought up 3
45 weeks ago:
46
47 Sector9 ~ # cat /var/lib/portage/world
48 app-admin/sudo
49 app-admin/syslog-ng
50 app-editors/vim
51 app-misc/screen
52 app-portage/eix
53 app-portage/gentoolkit
54 app-portage/layman
55 dev-db/mysql
56 media-libs/alsa-oss
57 media-sound/alsa-tools
58 media-sound/alsa-utils
59 media-tv/ivtv
60 media-tv/mythtv
61 media-video/nvidia-settings
62 net-misc/ntp
63 net-print/cups
64 net-print/foomatic
65 net-print/gutenprint
66 sys-apps/baselayout
67 sys-apps/hotplug
68 sys-apps/slocate
69 sys-apps/usbutils
70 sys-boot/grub
71 sys-devel/gcc:3.4
72 sys-devel/gcc:4.1
73 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
74 sys-process/vixie-cron
75 x11-base/xorg-x11
76 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
77 Sector9 ~ #
78
79 It's pretty clean. The nvidia drivers can probably go as it will
80 mainly be headless. The cups/gutenprint are planning for making it a
81 print server pretty soon. I franlky don't remember much about hotplug
82 anymore. Maybe it can go.
83
84 >>> No packages selected for removal by depclean
85 >>> To see reverse dependencies, use --verbose
86 Packages installed: 334
87 Packages in world: 29
88 Packages in system: 52
89 Unique package names: 334
90 Required packages: 334
91 Number to remove: 0
92 Sector9 ~ #
93
94 Anyway, if I have the time I reduce the contents of this file and let
95 emerge --depclean tell me what to clean out. If it's a big list then
96 often I'll do a few by hand, in groups of 5 or so, as copy/paste
97 options. Look at the list, choose 5, emerge -C them, and then do it
98 again. This gives me a little more confidence that I won't emerge -C
99 some system file and cause big problems.
100
101 One last thing that I've done once or twice when the whole process is
102 complete - I don't think it's mentioned here so far and I don't always
103 do it - but for complete consistency I've gone so far as:
104
105 emerge -e system
106 emerge -e world
107
108 and let everything rebuild thus guaranteeing that nothing is left to
109 chance. I usually do that over a weekend or sometime where usage is
110 going to be lower, but as I say I'd only go that far after really big
111 changes or if I was seeing flakey log messages somewhere. Probably a
112 waste of time but it's just a computer and once the list is smaller
113 it's not as slow as you think, especially on a server.
114
115 Cheers,
116 Mark
117 --