From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE-4.1 apps render slowly
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 19:15:56
1 On Saturday 09 August 2008 21:03:37 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Samstag, 9. August 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > > see the links above. In short, you are screwed. There is no real remedy
4 > > > until Nvidia fixes their broken drivers. Some stuff might help a bit -
5 > > > but most of the time one thing gets slightly better and another one a
6 > > > lot worse. The only good news: there is nothing wrong with your system.
7 > >
8 > > Well that's good to know at least. The bummer is that I speced this
9 > > laptop based on what I knew about nvidia's stuff. Nothing wrong in that,
10 > > I was just 18 months out of date!
11 >
12 > so you don't know about the 'nvidia mobile gpus dying like flies' problem?
13
14 You nasty horrible terrible man you. Did you have to remind me of that? :-)
15
16 Notebook was delivered 10 days ago on a Friday. That night I read the post
17 about it on slashdot. I'm so pissed about this card that I'm tending to ignore
18 it and hope the problems will go away (which they won't...)
19
20 > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/31/hp-pays-half-nvidia-
21 > problems
22 >
23 > just read the links in the text and below. Maybe you can still get a
24 > different one...?
25
26 It's a mobo :-( That means a motherboard replacement and I don't know what
27 Dell SA's position is on this. I'll have to check with the company account
28 manager, but I think my only recourse is going to be a "Keep the customer
29 happy!" internal POV. That and the fact that we buy truckloads of their
30 servers, and a standard 40% discount across the board on all Dell products.
31 Wish me luck
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com