From: Peter Lewis <prlewis@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Looking for advice on shared file system.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:04:55
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been looking around for a while now for some sort of "shared file system"
4 which might meet my needs a little better than that which I am currently
5 using.
6
7 I regularly use two different computers (desktop and laptop) for the same work
8 and have always had a network (samba) drive mounted from a server box in
9 order to be able to have one "documents repository" for all three machines.
10 This works fine, so long as I am connected to the network (or at a push, the
11 internet via ssh and fuse), but it leaves me at a loss whilst I am working
12 from the laptop and not able to be connected. There is also the added
13 negative point that when I am not on a fast connection, working on a network
14 drive can slow things down quite a bit.
15
16 For a while, I have been getting around this by using rsync on a seperate
17 directory, which I keep mirrored between all three machines. I have a simple
18 shell script which will "check out" the files from the server to the local
19 machine and another which will "check them back in" when I have finished
20 working with them. The basic idea is to use something like
21
22 rsync -rvzu --delete <rest of command>
23
24 This does work, though I have to remember to check them back in before I
25 finish. Once, I forgot and the script deleted all the changes. Also, it is
26 quite inflexible and I just know that I am going to trip up by having various
27 versions of the files on different computers.
28
29 So... what I am looking for is some kind of file system a bit like IMAP is for
30 mail, which will keep the files synchronised with each other (preferably
31 automatically, or via a cron job or something) but also maintain a local copy
32 of the files so that I can unplug from the network, carry on working and plug
33 back in later - all seamlessly.
34
35 Does anyone know of anything like this, or can make a recommendation?
36
37 Alternatively, is it possible to mount a filesystem over a disconnected IMAP
38 connection (perhaps using fuse) in a similar way to with mail? Is this a daft
39 idea?
40
41 Many thanks,
42