From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: about the 2007.1
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 02:31:08
1 Albert Hopkins <marduk <at> letterboxes.org> writes:
4 > I chose Gentoo to get away from the major distros. There is plenty of
5 > competition in that market. Let Gentoo be Gentoo and not Yet Another
6 > Ubuntu [TM].
9 All you have said presupposes one (erroneous) assumption: that is an easy
10 to use graphical install cannot be used if the distro is source code
11 based. Nothing could be further from the truth. An easy to use
12 graphical installation, should only be for getting the HD prepared, kernel
13 installed and a minimum number of software packages installed. Then the
14 customizing could continue as is normal via the handbook.
17 A nice graphical installation process would help the distro grow and gain
18 presence in more places, which is always a good thing. The 'mindset'
19 that if gentoo had some easy to use graphical install, it would alter the
20 mega-distro (sourcecode) nature of Gentoo, is misguided at best.
21 I.E. they are not mutually exclusive, but complimentary.
22
23 Distros survive, regardless of being free or for sell, because they
24 attract a large user base. Gentoo needs an easy to use, graphical
25 installation CD, period. What I would do is lower(simplify) the goals of what
26 that installation CD accomplishes. Once you get a drive prepared,
27 kernel installed and the basic tools installed (binary
28 or compiled). At that point, it's fairly straightforward to turn the box
29 into a server, firewall, or workstation.
30
31 You, nor any respondent has given one shred of evidence as to why the
32 installation CD cannot be graphical, easy to use and still be the gentoo we all
33 know and love ( that is source code based). Its only a guess, but I think
34 the devs that work on the CD are trying to make the installation full featured
35 just like going through the handbook. Simplify and drop those troublesome
36 features/options found in the handbook, in order to simplify the creation
37 of an installation CD. After all 3 types of stages use to be offered, now
38 the stage 3 is the most preferred. In the end you still end up with the
39 same gentoo system regardless if you use stage 1 or stage 3, eventually.
40
41 Does it not sound a little weird that many folks recommend using another
42 installation CD to facilitate the installation of Gentoo?
46 James
53 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list