From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting a fixed nameserver for openvpn
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2023 07:54:59
1 On 05/03/2023 18:41, Dale wrote:
2 > I edited the file they say with kwrite.  Even after I restart openvpn,
3 > the IP they want is there but it doesn't use it according to the site
4 > they sent for me to check it with.  It shows other IP addresses.  I'm
5 > sure I'm missing something, likely something simple, but I can't figure
6 > out how to make it work.  I don't know if it is because I'm using openrc
7 > or what.
8 >
9 > Anyone have a idea on how to make this work?
10
11 resolv.conf tells DNS where to look. That's not openrc/systemd specific.
12
13 There's another file - can't remember its name - that tells your
14 resolver what to try in what order - the hosts file, dns, what dhcp told
15 you, etc etc, so your resolver might not be using dns the way you think.
16
17 I can't get that to work, either. I want my hosts file to take priority,
18 but it's ignored.
19
20 And then, of course, to really screw you over your ISP might be
21 hijacking dns.
22
23 Cheers,
24 Wol