From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:45:44
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >> I like, even love, Gentoo. Thing is, if it gets to where it doesn't
5 >> work like it should for me, there's no point in me using it. If I
6 >> wanted a OS that doesn't work well for me, I'd be buying M$'s crap.
7 >> Hey, it does install fairly fast but it is pretty crappy. LOL
10 > What? Me worry?
11 >
12 > Chill Dale. The Gentoo devs will get it there.
13 >
14 > And what will you do if Ubuntu doesn't boot? Learn another distro? Nahh... ;-)
15 >
16 > - Mark
21 That's why I want something that I can install fast. Gentoo certainly
22 isn't the right choice for that. If Kubuntu fails, I can just reinstall
23 and not format /home. It doesn't take to long and I'll be back up and
24 running. I already keep a fairly up to date sysrescue so having
25 something for some other distro wouldn't be a huge issue.
26
27 Right now, if Gentoo fails to boot because of the init thingy, I have no
28 idea how to fix it. None at all. I know the basics of what it does but
29 no idea how to fix it when it breaks. That's where I am now with regard
30 to my other post. I can't su to root when using the init thingy but can
31 when I don't use the init thingy. I have no clue where to even start to
32 fix it. Is it dracut itself? Is it some script? Is it some option I
33 gave it that conflicts with something else? I have absolutely no idea
34 why but I know it has something to do with me using the init thingy
35 since it works fine without it.
36
37 Me clueless since this is something I tried to avoid in the past and not
38 sure why it is needed now either.
39
40 More questions than answers for sure.
41
42 Dale
43
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
48 how you interpreted my words!
49
50 Miss the compile output? Hint:
51 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"