From: Wang Xuerui <idontknw.wang@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HD7870 AMD Catalyst no framebuffer console
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 15:37:45
1 2013/4/18 Amankwah <amankwah7@×××××.com>:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I have a video card HD7870, I tried install the AMD Catalyst driver ~amd64 in portage, it works well under X. But when I press ctrl+alt+F1, the screen is blank??
4 > Although I googled this problem I add nomodeset and radeon.modeset=0 video=uvesa to the kernel cmdline in /boot/grub/menu.lst, it didn't work at all. What can I do to solve this?
5
6 IIRC fglrx does not support KMS, hence no framebuffer.
7
8 The radeon parameters are of no use in this case; in order for the
9 proprietary driver to work properly, the open source module must be
10 blacklisted. So instructing the radeon module makes little sense.
11
12 Please correct me if I got any of these wrong; haven't used the binary
13 blob for about 2 years myself, the memory is slowly fading.