From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with MAKEOPTS -j
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 07:55:48
1 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday, August 25, 2011 02:37:21 PM Pandu Poluan wrote:
3 >
4 >> Have anyone experienced problems with MAKEOPTS?
5 >>
6 >> I have a quad-core system, so I put in "-j5". But that resulted in
7 >> emerge fails for binutils and ppl. I have to change it to "-j3" before
8 >> ppl can be emerged, even "-j1" before binutils can be emerged.
9 >>
10 >> Anyone experiencing the same?
11 >>
12 > Yes, I used to have emerge -j and make -j set up limited to a load-level.
13 >
14 > I've changed it to make -j5 myself with emerge without "-j"
15 >
16 > It isn't just the ones you listed, I always have a lot of failed emerges that
17 > work ok when limiting the -j.
18 >
19 > --
20 > Joost
25 This is one of those times when things work for me. I have mine set to
26 -j5 for my quad core and it seems to work fine. I have read where
27 others have the problems to tho. Is my luck changing perhaps?
28
29 Just wanted to chime in with one that works.
30
31 Dale
32