From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 10:01:51
1 On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 11:29:33 +0200, Róbert Čerňanský wrote:
2
3 > > Portage doesn't change your package.use file, it creates a new one
4 > > using the standard CONFIG_PROTECT process. Then you use etc-update or
5 > > similar to view and verify the changes.
6 >
7 > What I am trying to tell is that portage manages its stuff (USE
8 > dependencies), through you, in your configuration files. It is nice
9 > that it does not overwrite them directly without asking ;-) but in the
10 > end the content ends up there one way or other. Portage should have
11 > its own internal database for USE deps and manage it like it manages db
12 > of standard package dependencies.
13
14 I'm coming round to that way of thinking too. I was simply pointing out
15 that the autounmask feature doesn't clobber existing configs, so people
16 weren't put off using it by the implication that it did.
17
18 A mechanism for portage to manage this outside of /etc/portage would help
19 separate portage's decisions and requirements from those of the user
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 X-Modem- A device on the losing end of an encounter with lightning.