From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 23:14:20
1 Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > systemd.unit (5)
4 > systemd.service (5)
5 > On Jul 28, 2013 6:26 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 > > walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > >
9 > > > On 07/26/2013 06:39 AM, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
10 > > > > must I check that every entry previously in /etc/init.d now has an
11 > > entry
12 > > > > in /usr/lib/systemd/system? What do I do if there is no corresponding
13 > > > > entry?
14 > > >
15 > > > I actually had to write a few of my own *.service files, which belong in
16 > > > /etc/systemd/system/ instead of /usr/lib64/systemd/system. (systemd looks
17 > > > in both places for service files)
18 > > >
19 > > > I started playing with systemd on a virtual gentoo machine many months
20 > > > ago when gentoo's systemd was still very incomplete and lacked *.system
21 > > > files for several important packages. I'm hoping the gentoo devs have
22 > > > made progress with that problem, but fedora and arch linux have already
23 > > > made the switch to systemd and you can steal *.service files from those
24 > > > if you need to.
25 > > >
26 > > > BTW, I'm still using systemd only on my virtual machines so far. The
27 > > > recent upgrade on ~amd64 is an ugly mess IMHO.
28 > >
29 > > Any documentation on what is in a service file? It does not look too
30 > > bad, but I would rather see the full documentation on what you can have
31 > > in there and exactly how they work.
34 > > --
35 > > Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
36 > > How do
37 > > you spend it?
38 > >
39 > > John Covici
40 > > covici@××××××××××.com
43 Heavens, never thought of actual man pages for those! Must be getting
44 long in tooth.
48 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
49 How do
50 you spend it?
51
52 John Covici