From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] power-down during emerge -u world causing library-issues
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:47:25
1 Fernando Meira schreef:
2 > This is what emerge would do:
3 >
4 > # emerge -Dav dbus hal
5 >
6 > Calculating dependencies ...done! [ebuild R ] sys-apps/dbus-0.36.2 +X
7 > -debug -doc -gtk -mono +python +qt +xml2 0 kB [ebuild UD]
8 > sys-apps/dbus-0.23.4-r1 [0.36.2] +X -debug -gtk -mono +python +qt
9 > +xml2 0 kB [ebuild R ] sys-apps/hal-0.4.7-r2 -debug -doc -livecd
10 > -pcmcia 0 kB
11 >
12 > So, i updated dbus, but for hal, it would downgrade dbus... isn't it
13 > strange that it upgraded it and now wants to downgrade it.. with no
14 > emerge --sync in between? And, should I do this?
15 >
16 No, it's not weird, just kinda a pain.
17
18 HAL and dbus are tied together, and dbus is tied to k3b.
19
20 This happened to me, kinda, which is how I noticed it.
21
22 What's happening is that the version of hal you have installed requires
23 the version of dbus you have installed, but the version of K3b you
24 currently have installed requires a lower version of dbus than the one
25 you have (so it's downgrading dbus). Had you been able to install k3b,
26 then it would have all worked out (the upgrade to k3b can use the
27 upgraded dbus).
28
29 IIrc, the version of dbus you're downgrading to would break HAL (because
30 it's a lower version than the one required by the higher version of
31 HAL-- they're very tightly tied together).
32
33 ATM, you have the "correct" versions of hal and dbus installed.
34
35 What I would do (and what I think I may have in fact done) was:
36
37 1) unmerge k3b totally. Don't worry, it's not for long.
38
39 2) reboot to re-initialize hal and dbus with the new versions (you might
40 be able to do this with stopping and restarting the services, but I
41 found it generally more reliable to just reboot, so I did).
42
43 3) re-emerge k3b (which should get you the new version which should
44 detect that the required verisons of HAL and dbus are in use).
45
46 If this fails for some reason, try re-emerging HAL and dbus again; they
47 may have installed with faults due to the power outage, then try steps 2
48 and 3 again.
49
50 Or you could just remove the "hal" USE flag from k3b, so it doesn't use
51 HAL and dbus at all, but I don't know the effects of that (it is,
52 however, optional, so the effects shouldn't be that severe). I didn't
53 want to do that, though, when I ran into this problem (or one very similar).
54
55 Hope this helps,
56 Holly
57 --