From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 22:16:07
1 Am Sonntag, 16. Dezember 2012, 23:19:46 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
2 > On 15/12/12 12:18, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > Am Freitag, 14. Dezember 2012, 21:34:54 schrieb Kevin Chadwick:
4 > >> On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 08:53:35 -0800
5 > >>
6 > >> Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >>> I guess the other question that's lurking here for me is why do you
8 > >>> have /usr on a separate partition? What's the usage model that drives
9 > >>> a person to do that? The most I've ever done is move /usr/portage and
10 > >>> /usr/src to other places. My /usr never has all that much in it beyond
11 > >>> those two directories, along with maybe /usr/share. Would it not be
12 > >>> easier for you in the long run to move /usr back to / and not have to
13 > >>> deal with this question at all?
14 > >>
15 > >> It should be moving in the other direction for stability reasons and
16 > >> busybox is no full answer.
17 > >>
18 > >> On OpenBSD which has the benefit of userland being part of it. All the
19 > >> critical single user binaries are in root and built statically as much
20 > >> as possible, maximising system reliability no matter the custom
21 > >> requirements or packages.
22 > >
23 > > until a flaw is found in one of the libs used and all those statically
24 > > linked binaries are in danger. Well done!
25 >
26 > I don't see why this would only affect statically linked executables.
27 > If a bug is found in a library, all dynamically linked executables are
28 > affected as well. When the BSD packagers put out an update for the
29 > library, they'll also put updates for the static binaries that use it.
30 >
31 > I don't see any security issue here.
32
33 with dynamically linked libs you can change just the lib, you can even just
34 use some LD_PRELOAD workaround.
35
36 As you said yourself - with statically linked libs you have to replace half of
37 your system.. and until the binaries are ready for distribution you can't even
38 work around it.
41 #163933