From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo x86 to AMD64
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:37:53
1 Hi Anthony,
2 on Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 04:01:42PM +0100, you wrote:
3 > I have two theories about how to go about this.....no1, install esx 3i
4 > on a spare drive, make a 32bit Linux guest and point it's drives at the raw
5 > partitions I have now :) no2, alter make.conf to 64bit flags, and emerge -e
6 > world --buildpkgonly then reboot into a 64bit live cd, and emerge -e world
7 > --usepkgonly which should give me a working system....Obviously the kernel
8 > and network drivers would also need rebuilding at this point again....
9 >
10 > Will no 2 work?
11
12 I'm not sure I understood #1 correctly but it sounds like neither will
13 work. Going 32->64bit (or vice versa) always requires a fresh install.
14 What I *think* you could do to reduce the hassle of updating all your
15 configs is to start off with a partition with your 32bit system on it
16 and use that for the regular Gentoo install procedure, i.e. slap the
17 tarballs on top and then do all the emerging. But it would certainly
18 leave some garbage around in /lib etc. so I wouldn't recommend it. If
19 you didn't actually change the hardware so you don't have to reconfigure
20 your kernel and stuff, a fresh install using your old world file
21 shouldn't take more than a day.
22
23 cheers,
24 Matthias
25 --
26 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
27 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665