From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] redoing grub-2 after emerge updates it
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2017 14:31:59
1 On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 8:28 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Googling to find out if it is necessary to reinstall the bootloader
3 > and update grub.cfg afer update world installed grub2 update.
4 >
5 > I was buried in directions to install grub2, or move from old grub to
6 > grub2. But not what I wanted to know short of reading all hits word
7 > for word.
8 >
9 > So, (sniveling over), do I need to reinstall the boot loader and
10 > update grub.cfg like when it was newly installed?
11
12 Good question(s).
13
14 You don't really *need* to reinstall; the old version will continue to
15 run/boot indefinitely.
16
17 If you want to use the new version to boot your system, you should
18 re-run grub-install, which will copy the modules to /boot/grub and
19 will install the core image to your MBR or EFI system partition.
20
21 You only need to re-generate grub.cfg if you make a change to your
22 kernel/initramfs images in /boot; your existing grub.cfg file will
23 continue to work otherwise.