From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xfce2 logout/shutdown delayed for 2 minutes
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 03:34:09
1 Zaam Wu <zaamwu@××××.com> wrote:
4 > I am not sure whether this is the right group to post this
5 > message. But the issue does happen after a Gentoo @world update.
6 >
7 > After login into console, 'startx' will launch Xfce4
8 > desktop. Everything works like a charm.
9 >
10 > A few days ago:
11 >
12 > 1) @world update;
13 >
14 > 2) reinstall Emacs (USE="gtkgtk3") to USE="athena Xaw3d -gtk
15 > -gtk3".
16 >
17 > If I logout or shutdown through Xfce4 panel "Shutdown" or "Log
18 > Out", xfce "Shutdown" or "Lot Out" will be delayed for almost 2
19 > minutes. During this period, Xfce4 desktop stands still and do
20 > nothing.
21 >
22 > When I click 'Shutdown" or "Log Out" again, an error message pops
23 > up:
24 >
25 > Failed to run action "Shut Down"
26 > Session manager must be in idle state when requesting a
27 > shutdown
28 >
29 > Interestingly, this issue usually is accompanied with Emacs daemon
30 > editing. If I does not lanuch Emacs daemon to edit file (no daemon
31 > process in the whole login session), Xfce4 shutdown or logout
32 > normally without delay.
33 >
34 > Googled around and a few posts suggest 'rm
35 > ~/.cache/session/xfce4*'. But still does NOT solve
36 > my problem.
39 I had the same problem for at least half a year. My "solution" was
40 to kill the X session when I did wanna logout. I don't use a Display
41 Manager, so I switched to the console from where I started the X
42 session (Ctrl+Shift+F1) and pressed Ctrl+C.
43
44 After I read your mail I did a test and logged out via the XFCE
45 logout panel (didn't tried this for about 2 or 3 months). It was a
46 really big surprise to me that it works without any delay.
47
48 I should mention that I never used or installed Emacs. Nevertheless
49 I had a delay of about 1 minute before logout finished. During this
50 time one of the CPU cores had some load and memory usage increases.
51 I could watch this in the gkrellm monitors when composite was enabled.
52 When composite was disabled then the X display was frozen during the
53 delay.
54
55 I'm sorry that I can't help you. I still don't know what caused the
56 problem, but now it's gone. Maybe some update fixed it, but dunno.
57
58 I'm using gentoo stable with these exceptions:
59
60 xfce-extra/xfce4-composite-editor ~amd64
61 xfce-base/xfwm4 ~amd64
62 xfce-base/xfce4-panel ~amd64
63 xfce-base/xfce4-settings ~amd64
64 xfce-base/xfce4-session ~amd64