From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Booting the Kernel as UEFI App
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 07:20:48
1 On Dec 29, 2012 5:26 AM, "Randolph Maaßen" <r.maassen60@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi Guys,
4 >
5 > I just got my laptop back from repair, the main board and harddrive are
6 changed, so bye bye data. I haven't created any data on gentoo, i couldn't
7 even set up the system before it crashed.
8 >
9 > So I'm going to setup a new install, and I have heard that you can set up
10 the kernel as UEFI application[1]. I have booted the system from UEFI grub2
11 before, so UEFI works and I know that the BIOS/UEFI has a boot manager.
12 >
13 > Has anyone here did this before or is this a bad idea ?
14 >
15 > [1]: http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/UEFI
18 I haven't used UEFI before, but won't making a Gentoo kernel means more
19 trouble when you need to update?
20
21 I think letting grub2 be the UEFI app, then from there make grub2 boot
22 Gentoo, would be preferable. You can then prepare 3 images for booting:
23 Known Good, Previous Known Good, and Newest Testing. Once Newest Testing is
24 confirmed to run well, Previous Known Good can be retired, Known Good
25 demoted to Previous Known Good, and Newest Testing graduated to Known Good.
26
27 Again, I have no experience with UEFI, so I am also interested if anyone
28 can shed more light on this.
29
30 Rgds,
31 --