From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: change and improvement
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 03:37:40
1 On Oct 6, 2011 11:21 PM, "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Mick wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On Thursday 06 Oct 2011 20:42:43 Dale wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> Michael Orlitzky wrote:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> On 10/06/2011 04:20 AM, Jonas de Buhr wrote:
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> most of the "oh it's so weird"-whining often comes from just not being
12 >>>>> used to it. flip your door lock upside down - you'll hate it with
13 >>>>> passion for a week and then you won't even notice. flip it again and
14 >>>>> the process will repeat.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> But if someone else snuck into your house and flipped your locks every
17 >>>> week?
18 >>>>
19 >>>> This one change won't be catastrophic, but I will probably spend a good
20 >>>> eight hours researching, testing, implementing, and documenting it. In
21 >>>> the end, *if everything goes according to plan*, stuff will work
22 exactly
23 >>>> how it does now.
24 >>>>
25 >>>> If Grub were the only package to do this -- fine, whatever. But next
26 >>>> week it will be something else. I don't know what my point is, but it
27 >>>> feels good to bitch about it.
28 >>>
29 >>> This is how I feel about the initramfs thingy and /usr and /var. What
30 >>> is next? I am pretty sure it will be something tho.
31 >>
32 >> I share your pain. :-(
33 >>
34 >> I'm not sure if this a sign of me getting (even) older, or Linux maturing
35 and
36 >> in doing so it caters less and less for Gentoo geeky users and more and
37 more
38 >> for mainstream ignoramuses. :p
41 > I was thinking more like windoze really. If windoze starts having mount
42 points like Linux, things could start changing. ^_^ Think about it,
43 windoze currently has to have its stuff on the C drive and Linux can be
44 spread out over many drives and you can mount things wherever you want.
45 Linux is going the way of windoze then windoze would be going the way of
46 Linux. Weird huh?
47
48 You've been able to do this since at least WinXP. I don't know if that
49 functionality extends through Win2k and earlier.
50
51 On one hand, you can configure the locations of things like %PROGRAMFILES%
52 and %SYSTEMROOT%. On the other hand, you can mount a volume wherever you
53 like.
54
55 I used this to use the same .libpurple directory on a machine dual-booted
56 between WinXP 32-bit and WinVista 64-bit. A data volume was mounted at
57 D:\Data, and I had NTFS junctions pointing my .libpurple on both boots at a
58 directory on that volume.