From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] IMAP4 behaviour
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:34:01
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:30:19 +0000 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5
6 > I have noticed that the bandwidth consumed by an IMAP4 account of
7 > mine is rather high and I believe this because of the following type
8 > of behaviour:
9 >
10 > I click to send the message. The message is uploaded to the server.
11
12 ...by your client. Noone said that you need to put sent messages also
13 onto an IMAP, i.e. mail storage server. MTA would be enough in order to
14 send the mail. But you certainly know...
15
16 > I click to sync/receive messages. The message is uploaded again(!)
17 > to the server this time in the sent-mail IMAP folder.
18
19 Uploaded? I would expect it to get downloaded -- at least, if you're
20 using cached IMAP. Without cached IMAP, I would expect it to download
21 headers only.
22
23 > I delete the message.
24 > I click to sync/receive messages. The message is uploaded again(!)
25 > to the server, this time in the Trash IMAP folder.
26
27 Again, I think it's not uploaded but downloaded instead (i.e. from
28 server to client). Which would be right, because it might get a new UID
29 on the server.
30
31 > Shouldn't it move from one folder to the other on the server instead
32 > of it being uploaded afresh from my desktop?
33
34 for both cases you marked with "again(!)": yes. But that wouldn't
35 prevent it from getting downloaded. What makes you think it was
36 uploaded?
37
38 > It strikes me like a waste of bandwidth. Is this a typical IMAP4
39 > server implementation, or should I be having words with my ISP?
40
41 I rather guess it's cached IMAP, i.e. a client side configuration issue.
42
43 For further inspection, I'd recommend installing tcpflow (better suited
44 for this than tcpdump) and logging communication with the server. You
45 could even quote from that communication here.
46
47 -hwh
48 --
49 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list