From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Dynamic IP address services.
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 04:31:59
1 On November 8, 2016 3:31:37 AM GMT+01:00, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net> writes:
3 >
4 >> On 2016-11-06 22:54, Willie M wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> http://freedns.afraid.org/
7 >>
8 >> ++ ++
9 >>
10 >> I had used both Dyn and NoIP before, but they both went all Web 2.0
11 >on
12 >> me (and other well known ones probably did the same).
13 >>
14 >> FreeDNS is just perfect for me - a blast of fresh air from the past
15 >:-)
16 >
17 >Just the tiniest bit thin on explaining what the heck you are expected
18 >to do on the various pages that appear when setting up an account.
19 >
20 >I'd like to have a real ip for a change... been doing the fake home
21 >lan thing for years and always there are problems with sendmail or
22 >other mail apps. Either masquerading or some other work around.
23 >
24 >Can anyone tell me if the freedns place will supply me with an ip that
25 >will work for sendmail? Will stand up across the internet when other
26 >internet hosts do reverse dns on my address for mail purposes.
27 >
28 >They advertise static addresses too, is there any draw back to that?
29
30 Harry,
31
32 What you need is a 'static IP'. Only your Internet Provider (ISP) can provide that.
33
34 Alternative is to use a company that provides SMTP proxy for outgoing emails or set up a mail server on a virtual server with a hosting company. Unless you know what you are doing and can keep it fully updated. Please don't run your own like this.
35
36 As for the static address: this will be a FQDN (fully qualified domain name/hostname) linked to a static IP.
39 Joost
40 --
41 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.