From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HP officejet pro 8600 printer (all-in-one)
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 07:25:38
1 On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 07:25:51PM -0700, Thomas Mueller wrote:
2
3 > from Walt:
4 >
5 > > On 09/02/2013 08:17 PM, Thomas Mueller wrote:
6 > > > Given my ill luck with HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP, I don't want to buy
7 > > > anything more from HP, unless I get this printer working, and then
8 > > > I'd need toner.
9 > >
10 > > > I do intend to try with Linux, and also try the MS-Windows drivers on
11 > > > FreeBSD with wine.
12 >
13 > > I've found that the postscript-printer-definition (ppd) files included
14 > > in net-print/gutenprint work much better for me than the ones included
15 > > in net-print/hplip, which is published by HP.
16
17 Thanks for the tip, I'll try that, too for by Laserjet 1000. I used to
18 use foo2zjs, which got masked at some point. I'm annoyed by hplip's tray
19 area program.
20
21 > > I've also heard other people grumble about the quality of HP printer
22 > > drivers not being as good as HP printers, but that's just hearsay :)
23 >
24 > I see I don't have guenprint installed, maybe I ought to.
25 >
26 > Bigger problem may be that HP LaserJet M1212nf MFP requires a proprietary plugin download.
27
28 That plugin download is what was broken for me. If you use python 3 in
29 your system, then the download will silently fail because the script is
30 written in python 2, but its shebang says only "python".
31 --
32 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
33 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
34
35 “I’m working on than.” -- Stephen Hawking
36 (When visiting the set of the Starship Enterprise’s engine room)