From: Jigme Datse Yli-RAsku <jigme.datse@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unlocking Plasma desktop in Gentoo without systemd
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 18:27:23
1 I had a similar (if not identical problem). This solution is a
2 "difficult" solution, the reason I experienced this (if I understand)
3 was that I was running KDE at the same time I was updating KDE. I can't
4 remember if I simply rebooted, or if all it took was logging out, and
5 logging back in. Even if I had rebooted, the *most* that should be
6 required is restarting X, which if you are running XDM may require
7 restarting XDM, or as stated, simply logging out and logging back in
8 (but that might not be possible from KDE running in this broken mode).
9 It should happen relatively infrequently.
10
11 If you are doing unattended updates, you are likely to run into this
12 kind of problem from time to time. I do not recommend it except for
13 "security" updates, which I don't believe there is an automated process
14 in Gentoo to do. Ie. I don't believe Portage flags updates as
15 "security" updates in any way, so a single command of "emerge --update
16 --security-only @word" (to my knowledge) isn't really a possibility.
17
18 Though, also, I haven't been following recent discussions that closely,
19 and I only recently returned to Gentoo after about 10 years away.
20