From: masterprometheus <masterprometheus666@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Another hardware thread
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 21:14:33
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > It's time for a new desktop, I'd rather the the money to Amazon or
4 Ebuyer
5 > than the Inland Revenue. I'm currently running a Core2Duo system, but
6 use
7 > AMD before that, so I have no real allegiances.
8 >
9 > I was thinking of something like an AMD 1100T 6 core CPU, the new
10 > Bulldozers are expensive and initial reports are not that promising,
11 but
12 > an Intel that gives the same bang per buck would do.
13
14 For AMD I'd recommend to go for a 960T :
15 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103995
16 It's a 95W and as a Zosma it's actually a 6-core. Most of those (not all
17 unfortunately) can be unlocked to a 6-core. Has Turbo functionality.
18
19 For Intel a 2500K is the way to go but maybe you should wait for Ivy
20 Bridge.
21 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
22
23 > I'm thinking
24 > Gigabyte for motherboard, based on comments made here in similar
25 threads
26 > (like the one Dale started a while ago).
27
28 Go for ASUS or Gigabyte. For AMD make sure you pick one that is
29 compatible with the Bulldozer Architecture. For example :
30
31 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131754
32 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128509
33
34 Those are UEFI boards which will help with larger AF drives.
35
36 For Intel go with Z68 boards.
37 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131790
38 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128507
39 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157264
40
41 > I need lots of SATA ports
42 > (fortunately, I bought a pair of 2TB drives a fortnight ago, just
43 before
44 > the prices went ballistic).
45
46 Above boards have lots of SATA ports.
47
48 > I'm not a gamer, but I want a system with plenty of grunt. Video
49 > performance is not critical, on board would suffice, except I need
50 > something with dual output to drive two monitors. Do any of the onboard
51 > jobbies do this or is a separate Nvidia still the best option?
52
53 Dual output what ? DSUB, DVI ? A fanless card :
54 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933
55
56 Something more powerful :
57 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150543