From: "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com>
To: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] SCSII Adapter ?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 05:10:52
1 On 12/18/2016 10:28 PM, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Taiidan@×××.com <Taiidan@×××.com> [16-12-19 03:57]:
3 >> On 12/17/2016 11:31 PM, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Hi,
6 >>>
7 >>> I searched for this on the Web and the only one I found, which
8 >>> is available, seems to be a Windows-only product (needs Windows
9 >>> drivers).
10 >>>
11 >>> May be someone on this list knows a solution:
12 >>> Is there any "something"-to-SCSII-adapter, which can be used with
13 >>> Linux, and which is not a "hardisk only" one?
14 >>>
15 >>> With "something" I mean an interface, which is common on modern
16 >>> PCs like USB, SATA, Firewire...
17 >>>
18 >>> Thank you very much for any help in advance!
19 >>> Cheers
20 >>> Meino
21 >>>
22 >> PCI-e ok?
23 >>
24 >> You can pick up a cheap server pull pci-e scsi HBA off of ebay, just
25 >> check the kernel compatibility lists for that chipset.
26 >>
27 >> A RAID card is also an option however some do not provide pass-through
28 >> (HBA) mode.
29 >>
30 > Hi Talidan,
31 >
32 > PCI-e unfortunately is not an option (and I didn't mentioned it,
33 > sorry), because there is no space in my PC anymore.
34 > All slots are occupied - only one is free and that one is behind
35 > the double-widthed graphics card.
36 >
37 > Am I out of luck or are there other options?
38 >
39 > Cheers
40 > Meino
41 Uhh curious is this for a tape drive? Perhaps an autoloader? seems like
42 the only reason you'd be putting so much time and effort in to this is
43 for one of those.
44
45 https://web.archive.org/web/20161109002310/http://adaptec.com/en-us/support/_eol/usb_scsi/usbxchange//
46 http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0509.1/1976.html
47 Boom! - adaptec usbxchange
48 Took me 5mins to find this...
49 Slow, and $150 or so on ebay so pricey too.
50
51 No idea if it works with newer kernels but this is a start.
52
53 If you want more slots you can always buy an external pci-e expansion
54 system such as the ones from cyclone microsystems, expensive but if you
55 need em you need em and they support PCI-e ACS.