From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kernel choices for booting gentoo as guest in vbox vm
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 12:45:23
Installing gentoo as guest into vbox vm on solaris-11 (openindiana)
HOST
gentoo-17
VBox 5.2.6
Kernel 4.15.0

My first boot resulted in resulted in a kernel panic... not able to
mount root.

I checked my /etc/fstab trying to make sure I didn't make a stupid
mistake there... it appear to be sound. (Included at the end of post)

I suspect it may be the result of a kernel choice... or rather the
lack of one.  Something that would have been able to mount /

I thought it would be ata_piix and made sure that was selected in
kernel .config

I'm thinking it may be be ata_generic, which I did not have selected.
Which I have now enabled.  But I see now, that is for IDE.

In a chroot now I can see lspci -k shows ata_piix in use .. but that
would probably be because in vbox I have the gentoo install media on
IDE secondary master.  But also shows sata controller ahci

Which I do also have selected in .config.  However there a number of
AHCI choices in the kernel config that were not selected.

Can anyone tell me what they used to allow gentoo in vbox to boot?