From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Looking for a pre-compiled Linux distribution
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2017 01:47:44
1 On 24/11/17 00:01, Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 23/11/17 18:45, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 23/11/17 19:11, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> I'd like to recommend a Linux distribution to someone who needs an as
6 >>> simple Linux distribution as possible.
7 >>> Since I am going to help that person from time to time, it should be
8 >>> as similar as possible to Gentoo.
9 >>> [...]
10 >>
11 >> Arch Linux is similar. Just imagine you have "emerge", except there's
12 >> only binary packages. When you install it initially, you're left on the
13 >> command line with nothing installed except base packages, much like Gentoo.
14 >>
15 > How close is Slackware to that description?
17
18 I'd say not close at all. Slackware uses pretty outdated software and is
19 not rolling release.
20
21 Arch Linux on the other hand, like Gentoo, does not have releases. You
22 install it once and the upgrades are pretty much identical to Gentoo.