From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2007.0 CD - 2008.0 install
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 19:34:39
1 On Friday 02 May 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Before I waste a lot of time I just noticed that I'm using a 2007.0
3 > install CD but downloading and setting up a 2008.0 beta2 system. Is
4 > there any problem building the 2008.0 system files using whatever I
5 > get when I chroot into the new installation?
6 >
7 > At this moment I'm doing the tar xjf portage-latest step and noticed
8 > the inconsistency. Apparently all the 2007.0 snapshots, etc., are now
9 > gone from the servers.
10
11 There shouldn't be a problem. Aside from the fact that a LiveCD is quite
12 a complex thing, as far as installation goes it's sole purpose is to
13 provide an environment where you can unpack a stage3 and chroot into
14 it.
15
16 When you have chrooted, you are essentially in a self-contained
17 environment and all that is left of the original environment is the
18 kernel it provides. The build system is provided entirely by the chroot
19 and nothing in user space can come from or be influenced by what's
20 outside it (this is the entire point of chroot).
21
22 As long as 2008.0 beta2 can work nicely with the kernel on 2007.0
23 LiveCD, it must work exactly as designed. It's hard to imagine a way
24 this wouldn't be the case.
28 Alan McKinnon
29 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
32 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list