From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Should I be worried that I won't be able to dual boot in Gentoo?
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:05:01
1 On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:46:21 -0400
2 "Albert W. Hopkins" <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On the server side, I don't think there is any major server
5 > manufacturer dumb enough to sell a system not capable of running
6 > Linux.
7
8 How very true. If a manufacturer tried that, they would lose the entire
9 ISP and backbone market in a flash.
10
11 Linux, BSD and Solaris rules that area. Windows doesn't even get a
12 look-in.
13
14 Next they'd lose the Oracle/Sybase/IQ/any-db-that-matters market where
15 those products do run on Windows (sort of a token gesture, useful for
16 POCs run by the technically clueless) but anyone with a brain does the
17 real work on Unix.
18
19 It usually takes just one phone call from the right person and an
20 entire corporate can switch from vendor X to vendor Y. It's scary to
21 watch.
24 Alan McKinnnon
25 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com