From: Shawn Haggett <podge@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Java "bad version number" - what to up/downgrade?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 02:08:27
1 On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 12:04:53 pm Grant wrote:
2 > I'm getting the following from dumphd:
3 >
4 > "bad version number in .class file"
5 >
6 > I gather that I may have the wrong version of something Java installed
7 > but I don't know how that works. Can anyone tell me what package I
8 > should try upgrading or downgrading?
9
10 This normally means the class file is from a new version of Java then the
11 virtual machine trying to run it (i.e. class files compiled under Java 1.5,
12 but your trying to run it in Java 1.4).
13
14 "java-config -L" (without quotes) will show you what virtual machines you have
15 installed. On my machine it shows (the asterisk is the currently selected
16 one, i.e. what will be used to run java applications):
17
18 podge@venus ~ $ java-config -L
19 The following VMs are available for generation-2:
20 1) Blackdown JDK 1.4.2.03 [blackdown-jdk-1.4.2]
21 2) Sun JDK 1.5.0.16 [sun-jdk-1.5]
22 *) Sun JDK 1.6.0.07 [sun-jdk-1.6]
23 podge@venus ~ $
24
25 If the newest VM isn't selected as the default, read the man page for
26 java-config and tell it to set the newest one as default (1.6 is the newest
27 version).
28
29 Shawn