From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 16:59:15
1 Gentoo - being different as it is - a metadistro, is by far the most
2 easy to mantain and support installs I've ever used. Most, if not all,
3 problems usually exist because some companies still relay in a single
4 distro specific behavior (companies that do not see the "big
5 picture"), the rest is pure beta testing result of your environment.
6
7 Gentoo is tied to upstream, the devs discuss, patch and help upstream,
8 with a user test base of thousands of users that daily read this ML
9 and go to the forums. This distro, along with all the benefits, still
10 contributes to upstream availability and stability, because we COMPILE
11 the source on so many different hardware/software combinations. I
12 would say Gentoo's bugzilla is where users (yes, those who do not
13 write C code) can expect their problems to be solved by experts, even
14 upstream developers, if someone think they should know about it, while
15 contributing for that specific package stability. We are the "high
16 level" (in programming sense) code test people! I feel proud of that.
17
18 Besides, with all the enhancements of the last few years, Gentoo has
19 become easy to install, overcoming problems like the "whole day
20 install process" and the "hours of compile time to get a browser"
21 problems that people who do not like Gentoo always use over the net
22 stating that "their distro is better".
23
24 Add to all that the FREEDOM, some people already stated that in this
25 thread. That is, by far (for me) the most incredible feature of
26 Gentoo. You can build a server, a desktop or a damn small kiosk with
27 little or no knowledge, because since the very begin you DECIDE what
28 you want, and that freedom keeps going till your system dies of age or
29 you decide to "kill" it! ;-) And still, with all this benefits, the
30 devs still provide a easy to use package management system with so
31 many features I haven't used most yet over this 3 years of being a
32 Gentoo user.
33
34 Gentoo is not dying, it is pretty healthy, I don't even know how
35 someone that frequently reads this ML can think something like that.
36 If the devs stop, or the distro is not healthy, problems occur, this
37 problems sum up till its dead, like the old "conectiva" distro I used
38 four years ago, but that is a long, painful agonizing process, not
39 something that comes in a day... I don't feel any symptoms.
42 Daniel da Veiga
43 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list