From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 01:20:35
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > It could just be managerial ineptitude though, combined with
5 > > emotional immaturity of certain persons (if Alan's previous critique
6 > > re.treating persons as machines holds true).
7
8 > Odds are that this is the real explanation. Gentoo management is full of
9 > people who are good devs but simply do not know how to run a group. To
10 > see this, just read over minutes of meeting etc held on IRC. There's
11 > little evidence of a meeting being chaired by someone who keeps things
12 > on track and on agenda, and meetings usually devolve into discussions
13 > of technical matters.
14
15 > It's entirely reasonable to assume that these same people will just
16 > ignore things outside their expertise that they don't understand and
17 > hope the problem will go away if they ignore it.
18
19 > Just as the solution to having a maintainer of a project that can't code
20 > is to replace him with someone who can, the solution to gentoo's
21 > current woes seems to be to appoint bodies to management who do know
22 > how to do it and have a track record of doing it.
25 OK, let assume you are correct, and the majority of users support these
26 consensus beliefs. How do we go about doing this (fixing gentoo with
27 some documents that define the organization and lines of authority?
28 I know how to do it mechanically and legally but how to we get devs to
29 agree with being managed by anyone? After all, there are no paychecks here.
30
31 My alluding to the tribal system is because technical folks will follow
32 a technically strong leader. Are enough of those tribal (elites) willing
33 to be managed? If so, surely they will want quite a lot of say in
34 how a new structure to manage Gentoo is structured and organized. The
35 fact they are discussing this seems like the majority of devs will
36 make a decision and let us know? Surely they will want a person that
37 is mature and calm, yet very saavy with technology and Gentoo.
38
39 We can put together a very good guidance document, borrowing from other
40 projects and non profits, and add some interesting language, but if the
41 majority, or at least a handful of tribal leader do not agree, we are dead,
42 or starting our own fork.....
43
44 It's more likely the user community will rally behind a group of devs,
45 that decide to fork, or the bickering will just continue until everyone
46 leaves? I have not read any of their posts (the devs) nor any of the
47 infighting. If they want help, they have to reach out. If they are determined
48 to intellectually bludgeon one another, all we can do is prepare our ideas,
49 here in this forum into a document, and humbly submit it to of those
50 tribal leaders that might be receptive?
51
52 Maybe someone that reads this solicit from the devs a list of grievances and we
53 can begin drafting documents that the devs can comment on and we continue
54 the process until 'the beast is soothed' ?
55
56 Does anyone think they can get cooler heads among the devs to participate
57 in a process like this, or something similar? I do not know any of the
58 devs enough to know who to approach.....
61 ???
62
63 James
69 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list