From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Encryption questions
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2018 23:46:20
1 Howdy,
2
3 As some may know, I'm making some changes and upgrades to my puter.  One
4 thing I'm considering, encryption of a select directory/mount point/file
5 system.  One thought I have, create a mount point named say "Encrypted"
6 and put anything I don't want widely seen or hacked in that directory.
7 That would likely be on it's own partition or LVM setup.  I would likely
8 keep other things open.  Example, I may have /home on a partition of
9 it's own but then have the encrypted directory mounted on
10 /home/dale/Desktop/Encrypted.  I could even let that be my Documents
11 directory as well.  I'm not to worried about browser history etc.  Plus,
12 I could log into KDE and not have to access the encrypted stuff if it is
13 not needed.  I don't need encryption to check the weather.  lol
14
15 How I do that isn't a big deal really.  My main question is this.  If I
16 go to the trouble of doing this, would I be *really* protected?  Is
17 there a easily used encryption tool that isn't easily hacked?  Also,
18 when I login, I'd like to be able to type in password etc and it be
19 available from that point on, unless I do something to lock it up
20 again.  Reason, I may even put some of my videos on that.  I watch TV
21 from that a lot.
22
23 Also, how hard would it be to do the same to my backups, since having a
24 open set of backups would render the encrypted part just available
25 elsewhere?
26
27 While I get some of how encryption works, I don't keep up with it on a
28 weekly or even monthly basis.  I just see the occasional articles on
29 it.  I'd rather ask and get input from someone who uses and/or is more
30 familiar with this.  In other words, if it is worthless and someone
31 knows it is, then let me know.  If one tool is better/easier/etc than
32 another, I'd like to know that as well.
33
34 Thanks.
35
36 Dale