From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Working on fresh install, question about handbook statement
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 21:53:21
1 I'm part way thru a fresh gentoo install and ran up on something in
2 the handbook guide to installing that is puzzling.
3
4 This URL:
5 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Base#Distribution_files
6
7 From the section of install during the chroot and start of putting
8 together the OS.
9
10 Under heading Timezone I find these sub headings showing examples of
11 what to do:
12
13 root #ls /usr/share/zoneinfo
14
15 root #echo "Europe/Brussels" > /etc/timezone
16
17 And there is a little part following that says:
18
19 Next, reconfigure the sys-libs/timezone-data package, which will
20 update the /etc/localtime file for us, based on the /etc/timezone
21 entry. The /etc/localtime file is used by the system C library to
22 know the timezone the system is in.
23
24 And sys-libs/timezone-data package is a hyperlink to a page about that
25 package.
26
27 What is really puzzling is the the words `reconfigure' that package.
28 But then there is nothing said about what this `reconfiguring'
29 consists of.
30
31 It used to be we just either copied the appropriate zimezone section
32 to /etc/localtime... or symlinked it there.
33
34 Can anyone explain what is meant by `reconfiguring' in this context or
35 how it is done?
36
37 The hyperlink leads to some info about the package but there is no mention
38 there of reconfiguring either.