From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Fighting bit rot
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:34:42
1 On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:11 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Hi list!
3 >
4 > I have a use case where I am seriously concerned about bit rot [1] and I
5 > thought it might be a good idea to start looking for it in my own
6 > private stuff, too.
7 >
8 > Solving the problem is easy enough:
9 > - Record checksums and timestamps for each file
10 > - Check and update records via cronjob
11 > - If checksum changed but timestamp didn't, notify user
12 > - Let user restore from backup
13 >
14 > However, I haven't found any application in portage for this task. Now,
15 > the implementation is easy enough but I'm wondering why it hasn't been
16 > done. Or do I just look for the wrong thing? The only suitable thing
17 > seems to be app-admin/tripwire but that application also looks like
18 > overkill.
19 >
20 > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bit_rot
21 >
22 > Regards,
23 > Florian Philipp
26 Have you looked at Tripwire to see if it'll do what you need?
29 :wq