From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KVM and no keyboard at start of boot
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 14:56:58
1 Mike Kazantsev <mk.fraggod@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 [...]
4
5 Harry wrote:
6 >> So if I could identify what it is in the kernel that allowes it to
7 >> work at the point where the kernel takes over (login prompt), then
8 >> maybe I could enable that aspect somehow inside an initramfs, and be
9 >> able to have the KVM recognized at the grub prompt by booting with an
10 >> initrd.
11
12 Mike answered:
13 > But it's the grub that loads initrd and linux kernel is actually the one
14 > using it, not the grub, so you won't get it until you drop out from
15 > grub already.
16
17 Gack... I can't seem to get it straight how it all loads but I see
18 immediately what you are saying...
19
20 > You can try updating grub itself though, 0.X tree ebuilds are accessible
21 > for both stable and unstable gentoo arch, but there's 1.X and even live
22 > ebuild masked in the portage tree, prehaps they would be able to work
23 > with newer hardware?
24
25 I'll look into this.
26
27 > I also wonder, does BIOS recognize this KVM, can you access it?
28
29 How would I access it?