From: Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 01:33:19
1 On 06/22/11 20:11, Albert Hopkins wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wednesday, June 22 at 16:52 (-0500), Harry Putnam said:
4 >
5 >> The times I've tried to get a recent gentoo version running in a vm on
6 >> windows turned out to be labor taking days to get right.
7 >>
8 >> Does anyone know if there is a fairly current gentoo appliance
9 >> somewhere that I can just install and then update or customize?
10 >>
11 >> I'd prefer to run it with vbox but if the appliance is vmware created
12 >> that's ok too. I do have a license up to 6.5.
13 >>
14 >> If that isn't available maybe someone has a fairly current kernel
15 >> config that is known to boot on a windows host with guest gentoo.
16 >>
17 >> As I recall from my efforts, there were always problems with something
18 >> to do with scuzzi drivers or whatnot.
19 > I have a program that I use to create Gentoo VM appliances. I have no
20 > idea if it works with vbox or vmware as I run KVM, but I think it
21 > *should* work. Anyway if you want to try it you can or, if you want, it
22 > also builds stage4 tarballs, so I can build you a stage4 tarball of a
23 > base Gentoo install pretty easily (including kernel). The stage4
24 > (excluding portage) would be ~90MB (bz2). The disk image (compressed
25 > QCOW is about 120MB)
26
27 The only issue with qcow2 is that in order to use it with VB, IIRC you
28 need to convert it to raw before you can import it.