From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How can I rewrite all empty sectors with zeros?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:31:37
1 On 22/07/12 20:18, Jarry wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I want to backup my whole hard-drive (8 partitions) with:
4 > # dd if=/dev/sda | gzip > /path/image.gz
5 >
6 > In order to achieve good compression level I'd like to wipe
7 > out all empty space with zeros. How can I do that?
8
9 That's the wrong way to do it. You should use a tool that only copies
10 the data, and then also backup the partition table.
11
12 Or use partimage/clonezilla like Neil mentioned which does all that
13 automatically.